Ask the Salon Services Expert – Beverly Ashdown
SMOOTH CURVES AHEAD
Before we know it, swimsuit season will be upon us! This means we’re faced with staring in the mirror at – you guessed it – cellulite! The problem of cellulite is undiscriminating, as it affects people of all races and both genders. Cellulite can be a tough nut to crack, and there is no magical cure for it.
Cellulite has been dubbed variously a circulation, lymph, detoxification or hormonal issue. The combination of underlying causes – including poor blood and lymph circulation, estrogen imbalance, vascular changes, stress, poor thyroid function, yo-yo dieting, smoking, and certain medications – can set off a cascade of metabolic actions that allow a buildup of toxins and impurities in the body’s connective tissues. Eventually these toxins and fat cells harden into upward-pushing plaques which create the dimpled appearance that characterizes cellulite.
While there is no magical cure, the management and prevention of cellulite require discipline and commitment. Experts agree that exercise stimulates circulation via vasodilation, spurring lymphatic drainage and firming the affected areas. Having toned muscles and firm skin will make a huge difference in the appearance of cellulite; however, exercise alone may not be enough to improve it. A combination of periodic detoxifying cleanses, a proper diet of whole foods, drinking plenty of water and other therapies can expedite the results.
Therapies that can greatly reduce and improve the appearance of cellulite are:
- Endermologie. This is a massage therapy which uses a hand-held device that kneads the skin while employing gentle suction.
- Infrared Technology. This therapy generates localized heat that promotes vasodilation. Infrared heat helps to rebuild weakened connective tissue, which has been shown to decrease the appearance of cellulite.
- Lymph Drainage. Lymphatic stimulation promotes detoxification and encourages fibroblast activity, which can result in the creation of new collagen and elastin.
- Radio Frequency. This therapy generates vasodilation directly into affected areas and boosts thermal energy, which causes the skin to tighten.
- Ultrasound. These high-frequency sound waves penetrate the skin to produce heat within the adipose (fatty) and connective layers of the skin.
- Exfoliants. Using scrubs can stimulate blood flow and lymphatic drainage, and helps the skin to better absorb the active ingredients in topically applied treatments.
- Wraps. Body treatments create a controlled micro-environment conducive to increasing local skin temperature, vasodilation, lipolysis, penetration of active ingredients and detoxification via perspiration. Wraps can reduce water retention, thereby lessening the appearance of cellulite. Layering active ingredients to the skin in a layered fashion and then wrapping the body can increase local fat cell metabolism, stimulate fat breakdown and deliver antioxidants that nourish the skin to improve its appearance.
Our spa uses the Phytomer Sculpt Zone seaweed wrap. This intensive localized treatment of the abdomen, buttocks and thighs is designed to beat the appearance of excess fat and cellulite in record time. This dual action contouring and cellulite treatment combines a fat-burning Thermo-Reducing Clay rich in extracts from Spirulina algae, along with intensive targeted massage to encourage smoothing and contouring.
Phytomer uses a wide range of specialized ingredients in its body wrap and after care products which continue the benefits at home. Extract of Sea Absinthium puts fat cells on a diet when used at night, and promotes their elimination in the morning; Vectorized Caffeine promotes an optimal diffusion of caffeine within the skin to activate lipolysis, Halopteris Scoparia stimulates the synthesis of collagen fibers to for a firming effect, and Palmaria Palmata boosts the skin’s microcirculation for a draining effect.
For best results, be prepared to commit to a series of six or more treatments, including two treatments a week depending on the severity of the cellulite, while using the recommended products at home.