Ask the Salon Services Expert – Beverly Ashdown
Enjoy Beautiful Brows and Luscious Lashes
As eyes are usually the first feature we notice, we all want beautifully shaped brows and long luscious lashes. So how do we make the most of what we have?
- The perfect brow size and shape depends mostly on your own unique features. The brow can be divided into thirds, with the widest part at the inner edge, starting approximately above the tear duct. The arch should occur at the outer edge of the iris, and the outer end can be found by holding a pencil diagonally from the nostril, above the outer corner of the eye. To make brows appear fuller use a powder, pencil or tinted gel. Go a couple of shades lighter if you’re a brunette or two shades darker if you have pale blond or silver hair.
- Skip the brow stencils. Your perfect brow is based on your bone structure. While a stencil may simplify by taking the guess work out of shaping, you might not like the results. It’s best to follow your own natural shape.
- To reshape brows that have been over-waxed or tweezed, lay off your tweezers for at least a couple of months, then have your brows professionally shaped. Be sure to book your appointments every four to six weeks in order to keep your brows in perfect shape.
- Don’t tweeze the tops of your brows; leave that to a professional. It’s ok to tweeze the peach fuzz on your temples; however the real shaping should usually be done below the brow in order to lift it. Tweezing too much off the top could result in flat, uneven brows that make it appear you are scowling.
- Open your eyes by using an eyelash curler before you apply mascara. Don’t clamp down hard, but rather use firm pressure, as you don’t want to pinch your skin, sharply crease your lashes or pull them out. For longer lashes, best results come from curling in stages, moving from the base of the lashes toward the tips to achieve a gentle upswept curve.
- Mascara matters for making your lashes look fuller or longer. The brush matters as well. Rubber bristles coat even the tiniest of lashes from root to tip, adding length. Plastic bristles give a clean, natural looking lash, while fiber bristles build lash thickness and boost the fringe. If you like your mascara but want a different look, try a different brush.
- If your favorite mascara leaves dark flecks on your cheeks by day’s end, look for a tubing formula. This tends not to flake because it encases the lashes. When removed with warm water, the mascara slides off in tubes. You can also use your favorite mascara, then seal it with a tubing formula that allows you to swim, sleep and even shed a tear without your mascara budging.
- False lashes are fabulous and add pure glamour. They come in a dizzying array of shapes, styles and lengths. If you are unsure how to apply strip lashes, consult a professional who will happily help you select the best shape and length for your eyes, then show you step-by-step how to apply them.
- If you want a semi-permanent solution for fabulous lashes, eyelash extensions may be your answer. Eyelash extensions come in many different curls, lengths and thickness. They do require regular maintenance; however, their wearers testify they are well worth the commitment.
- Lash and brow growth serums stimulate growth so you can enjoy longer, thicker lashes and fuller brows. Lash serums are a clear liquid applied like eyeliner to the lash line. You should see a difference in about three to six weeks, depending on the growth cycle.
- Tinting lashes and brows is another excellent way to enhance your eyes, and is great before a holiday getaway.